Kaiser Permanente Among Health Care Systems to Launch the Healthier Hospitals Initiative
May 17, 2010
Kaiser Permanente joined five leading health care systems Wed., May 12 to announce that they have formed the Healthier Hospitals Initiative to help speed the health care sector toward environmental sustainability.
The six systems — Advocate Health Care; Catholic Healthcare West; Hospital Corporation of America; Kaiser Permanente; MedStar Health; and Partners Healthcare — introduced the Healthier Hospitals Agenda at the CleanMed conference in Baltimore. The agenda outlines specific activities that hospitals can take to reduce their environmental footprint and improve health outcomes.
The overall goal of this national initiative is to use a coordinated approach to achieve sustainability throughout the health care sector, which will prevent environment-related illness, create environmental benefits, and save billions of dollars in health care expenses.
In the News
- CNN.com: Companies, Hospitals Move Away from Toxic Material | 5/26/10
- EnvironmentalLeader.com: Hospitals Can Cut Energy Use 60% by Redesigning their Energy Systems | 5/14/10
- The Gazette (Md.): MedStar Joins Forces with ‘Healthier Hospitals’ Columbia Nonprofit Pledges to Go Greener | 5/14/10
- ModernHealthcare.com: Health Care Systems Announce Green Initiative | 5/12/10
Learn more about the Healthier Hospitals Initiative through its website: www.healthierhospitals.org.
Also at the CleanMed conference, the Center for Environmental Health announced that Kaiser Permanente and Catholic Healthcare West are committed to the nation’s strongest environmental standards for purchasing and managing information technology equipment used in their hospitals.
- Kaiser Permanente Launches Sustainability Scorecard for Medical Products, 5/10
- Kaiser Permanente Wins Clean Air Award for Environmental Leadership Efforts, 4/10
- 60 Sustainable Seconds John Kouletsis, 3/10
- Kathy Gerwig Highlights Kaiser Permanente’s Focus on Safer Chemicals, Healthy Environments in Senate Testimony, 3/10