March 14, 2012
Kaiser Permanente’s Alide Chase Featured in Radio Interview about new book, Pursuing the Triple Aim
On May 3, 2012, Alide Chase, Kaiser Permanente’s senior vice president, Medicare Clinical Operations and Population Care and executive director of the Care Management Institute, was interviewed by WIHI — the online radio station of the Institute for Healthcare Improvement. The broadcast was in support of a new book by Maureen Bisognano, president and CEO of IHI, and Charles Kenney, writer and journalist, titled Pursuing the Triple Aim: Seven Innovators Show the Way to Better Care, Better Health, and Lower Costs. The interview included a discussion with the authors and innovators from several health care organizations.
Following is a brief about the broadcast from the WIHI website, a list of the guests, and a link to listen to the recording.
It isn’t always easy to tell the story of improving health care in the U.S. An awful lot of the answers and promising solutions fly under the radar screen and get drowned out by politics and policy debates. That’s why Maureen Bisognano and Charlie Kenney decided to move about the country this past year and capture just a small sample of the innovation underway that promises to move health reform forward ... even as national debates rage on. What the organizations featured in Maureen and Charlie’s new book, Pursuing the Triple Aim, share in common is this clear-eyed view that the status quo is not sustainable and that new models to simultaneously improve health, improve health care, and reduce per-capita costs aren’t just needed, they’re needed urgently. The organizations whose stories you can read about in the new book and that you’ll hear about on WIHI are currently in the trenches and represent a leading spear of change, tackling some of the hardest issues ever for health care. All the people associated with the work are eager to share whatever they can with as many as they can.
Guests on the program:
- Maureen Bisognano, president and CEO, Institute for Healthcare Improvement, co-author, Pursuing the Triple Aim
- Alide Chase, senior vice president, Medicare Clinical Operations and Population Care, Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, Inc., and Kaiser Foundation Hospitals; executive director of the Care Management Institute
- Anthony M. DiGioia, MD, Renaissance Orthopaedics; medical director, Bone and Joint Center, Magee-Womens Hospital and PFCC Partners — Innovation Center of UPMC
- Charles Kenney, writer and journalist, co-author, Pursuing the Triple Aim
- George F. Kerwin, FACHE, president and chief executive officer, Bellin Health
- Patricia A. McDonald, vice president, Technology and Manufacturing Group; director of Product Health Enhancement Organization, Intel Corp.
- Diane K. Miller, MBA, vice president, Virginia Mason Medical Center; executive director, Virginia Mason Institute
- Rebecca Ramsay, BSN, MPH, director, care support manager, CareOregon
- Brian H. Rank, MD, medical director, HealthPartners Medical Group, HealthPartners, Inc.
- Marci Sindell, chief external affairs officer, Atrius Health and Harvard Vanguard